Re: [IP] Thanks, Doing Better

 >In a message dated 5/19/99 7:45:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
 >email @ redacted writes:
 ><< What would the insurance company do with a used pump?  Do
 > they have contracts with MiniMed and/or Disetronic to
 > refurbish them or something?  Or, is it just a power thing
 > to remind us that they are bigger than we are?
 >  >>
 > Are there other cases where an insurance company claims ownership on a
 >medical device?

I've heard of situations where the insurance company just leases the pump
for you. Doesn't sound like a very cost-efficient way of doing it, but then
I'm not in the insurance business.

However, since it is a durable medical device I can't see how they think
that they can just take it away from you. Sounds like they'd be ripe for a
suit. Can you imagine them taking back a dialysis machine, pace-maker or a
wheel-chair? I don't think so...