Re: [IP] allergic reation and bad bg's

In a message dated 5/19/99 9:43:04 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<<Also to those out there talking about trigger finger I was just
diagnosed with it in my right middle finger, and guess what the doctor
talked of steroids to treat it. If this is what happens with my bg's I
say no way I'd rather suffer or even endure the surgery. Sheila>>

For about 8 years in the eighties and early nineties I was plagued with
trigger fingers, and probably had over 15 cortisone injections, as well as 5
surgeries.  Generally I would try injections first, but once they needed it
in less than 6 months I would have the surgery.  The first injection I had
there was not much of a blood sugar effect, but from then on I could count on
it, and got quite good at estimating MDI dosages (I would raise my rates the
second morning after the injection, and expect to lower it on the 14th day --
 I was using NPH only in the evening, and I would raise that about a third,
leaving me a little high in the morning, then my premeal boluses I raised
about three-fifths.)

I have one finger that was injected 5 times over this period (the doctor
usually said no more than 3 injections in one finger, but this was always a
good year between triggerings.  This finger has not triggered in at least 7
years now, but 2 of the fingers I had surgery on did retrigger.

I still have occasional (well, on one finger pretty constant) outbreaks of
triggering, but only once since 1992 have I felt it was bad enough to get
treatment with all its attendant problems.  In general,my control has
improved somewhat over this period, but another change for me is that when
one begins to hurt I no longer immobilize it, but instead exercise it more (
using the other hand to repeatedly open it and close it.)  When I feel the
pain, I manipulate it.  This is sometimes very painful at first, and I use a
paraffin bath first if the finger is not manipulatable.  Generally after 2 or
3 weeks of this,  the problem subsides, and except for that one darn finger
(one of those that had been operated on), I am free of pain most of the time.

In figuring out your reaction to steroid shots, not only YMMV, but your
doctor's cocktail of steroid and anasthetic may vary too.  With 3 injections
for frozen shoulder from 3 different doctors, I haven't a clue how to deal
with that (went straight to physical therapy instead this time) -- I do
remember I got quite high (and I'm not talking blood sugar) after one of them.

Linda Zottoli