Re: [IP] Adhesive Reactions! :(

In a message dated 5/19/99 8:35:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Is this common to develop a reaction to an adhesive that you initially
 did well with?
 Any other suggestions?  >>

This has happened to me.  Go to a medical supply place, ask them for a skin
barrier.  If they look at you funny, mention colostomy patients.  There are
several brands around.  I use Smith + Nephews (with SofSets and nothing
else).  It comes in a prep pad that it easy to transport (like an alcohol
pad).  I couldn't have the pump if it wasn't for this stuff.

When you put it on and it dries, it creates a film over the surface of your
skin so the tape is not really touching your skin.

Last year I had a skin graft and had a 4" x 6" Tegaderm on my thigh.  I was
going crazy, all the itching and sores.  I asked for something, they weren't
even aware of stuff like this.  (I did learn that Betadine combined with tape
makes it itch more).  So I had my S.O. bring me up some pads and no more
itching.  I even left them a couple extras.