Re: [IP] What Are the Signs That Your Insulin May Have Had The Biscuit? NEED HELP!!

These sound more like Erica's reactions to humalog than they do insulin
potency problems.  However, the way to test is to either counter a high or
eat something and take the insulin as a shot straight from the bottle.  At
least in my experience, the shot generally works just fine.  Humalog doesn't
seem to do well in direct sunlight or in really hot weather but in the pump
and certainly in the fridge, but other than those it really isn't that
unstable.  It should do ok refridgerated for at least 2 or 3 months.

Many people find that humalog tends to cause problems for them at the site
and then causes erratic bg control.  One solution to this is to mix it with
velosulin.  I can actually get almost 3 days out of a humalog site, but I
still find the velosulin mix a great relief since I can go 4-8 days on a
site (usually about 6 or 7), I don't get the lumps when I take the needle
out, and I don't have a period of poor results to contend with.  This is
actually Michael's suggestion but in my case it has really worked.  I was a
kid who had horrible site problems too.   I would guess that Erica is not
all that large and if you really go on changing every day or two for 6
months or so, she may find that all the sites get sore and don't work as
well.  The thing about sites is you have to find a kind of balance:  change
often enough to make sure they aren't deteriorating or getting infected or
sore, but not so often that you are causing too much irritation to the
tissue (the injection process does this).  The insulin mix might be one
solution to this problem.  Another is to try straight velosulin for a
while.  It will mean she will have to take her boluses much longer before
meals (so life is not quite as spontaneous), but it might help stabilize
things.  Some poeple find regular works every bit as well as velosulin.
Others are more sensitive to the regular (it seems to fall somewhere between
humalog and velosulin on the reactivity scale).

Hope that is a little bit helpful.  Hang in there!