[IP] Re: Insurance

I thankfully will be covered under BC/BS this fall when I start grad
school at UNC.  However up until now I have been covered under my
father's policy - he is self employed.  My sister and I are both diabetic
and I am also treated for allergies, asthma, carpal tunnel and just get
sick a lot... It is nearly impossible for us to get coverage and when we
do, it still sucks.  We are with Kaiser Permanente - and even with the
beaucoup de money we pay, we get NO DRUG COVERAGE.  No Strip coverage, no
humalog coverage, no prescription drug coverage period.  THANKFULLY we do
get 50% on, I can't remember the phrase for it, but something like
durable medical eqiupment (ie. pump & supplies).

The choice of where I attended graduate school was largely based on where
I could get decent coverage.  UNC offers me full coverage - Georgia Tech
offered no insurance, and MIT offered low prescription prices through
their student health center, but no hospitalization/dental/eye etc.

The bottom line is that yes, insurance will rule many choices in your
daughters life.  Unless you are under the umbrella of a large corporation
or organization, it is *very* difficult to get coverage that is affordable.

Such is life,