Re: [IP] BG Meters

In a message dated 5/15/99 9:28:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< It's common for meters and software packages to *NOT* allow manual entry of
 BG readings.
 If we could manually enter the data into the meter and / or software, we'd
 all have "perfect" BGs when the health care team downloaded the data from
 our meters <vbg>
I used to do this as a kid (translated into before I turned 30).  When I was
quite young, I would always make my tests look good.  When I got older (and
they came up with the a1c), I used to fill in any number just so my doc
wouldn't yell at me for not testing.  Then I finally learned that I was
helping no one and merely lying.

Prior to getting pumped, I started a massive log, to prove to the doc I could
handle everything and that MDI wasn't cutting it for me.  Once I got the
pump, got the basals set correctly and knew how to handle about any food I
ate,  I would test all the time, react to the test and not write it down.

I am now into logging.  I am getting ready to switch to Humalog (today or
tomorrow) and know that I need to keep track of everything.  Once I have this
stabilized I will probably go back to using the meter with memory and a data
cable and just dump my bgs every quarter.

So tell me, what is the benefit of logging all the time?  I have learned so
much from you all already, I'm probably all messed up about this as well.