Re: [IP] Pump traveling hints?

In a message dated 05/14/1999 8:12:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I got stopped in Seattle -- I don't use a case, but I had the pump in a
 pocket, and the guard asked me what it was. I pulled it out, and he
 gestured toward the tray. I told him it was connected (I don't want to
 disconnect it and put it in the dirty tray!), so he had one of the
 female guards wave me with a wand. I told them what it was, and they let
 me pass -- didn't take more than 5 minutes, and gave them something to
 do!!! >>

There have been times when a 5 minute delay would mean that I missed the

A few years ago I set an alarm off.  When I explained to the woman that I
wore an insulin pump she said that she had been told to hand search people
with pumps that their wands could cause problems.  She worked the
international terminal in Chicago and said that their equipment was a bit
more powerful than for the domestic flights and thus the pump may have
triggered the alarm.

I've always wondered if what she said about the wands is true.