[IP] Hospital blunders

Since there is a subject line about hospitals screwing up, I thought I
would add my own story.
In the 7 yrs since Erica has been diagnosed, she only had two lows that
were scary.  On both occasions, they had me bring her to the ER so they
could monitor her.  We have an endo or CDE on call 24 hrs a day and when
I said she was vomiting and not making sense they wanted her in 'now'.
(Erica follows a severe low with vomiting)
Both times, she was put into a room very quickly (vomiting beside the
admitting nurse is a good thing to train your kids to do) and she was
hooked up to an IV very quickly. It also helps when your endo or CDE
tells them to expect you.   I was impressed, because we were told when
Erica was diagnosed that we were going to be the 'experts' with her care
and in emergency situations we should always be aggressive with
nurses/docs who don't have much experience. It was good advice.

Anyway, things were going well, and Erica started coming around.  A
Shift change came in, and another nurse was assigned to Erica's room.
Since she was stabilized, and had become herself again, she was hungry
and they brought her a diabetic meal.  The nurse asked me if I would
like to administer the insulin, instead of her,  and of course I said
yes.  She brought me in an 'insulin' syringe, I filled it with her
regular dose, but it wasn't an insulin syringe!  I got weak in the knees
when I realized that I could have given Erica MUCH  MUCH more insulin
than she reqired!!!  In fact, if it had been that nurse, my husband, or
someone who just took people at their word, Erica would have been in
trouble.  The needle was larger, but I first thought it was because it
was a hospital issue and not one we were accustomed to.  I calmly walked
out of the room, tracked down the nurse and showed her the syringe.  She
still didn't clue in.  Finally, when she saw steam coming out of my
ears, and recognized a slightly 'enraged' tone coming out from between
my clenched teeth,  she quipped "Oh that *** nurses aide!"  She had the
audacity to blame it on someone else! I  stayed with her until she found
the right kind of syringe, it took her awhile.   I should have reported
it, and sometimes I still kick myself for not doing so.  We were just so
glad to get out of there after 14 hrs.
Just another thing to keep an eye out for in the ER.
Barb....Erica's mom,