Re: [IP] Precision QID Pen meter

John Bowen and Nancy Morgan wrote:
> The meter in a pen is a Precision QID Pen.  It uses the same strips as a
> QID, and even uses the same software and cable to download.  It is about the
> length of a BIC pen, a little fatter, but not much, very cute. It even has a
> clip on it, so all you engineers out there with pocket protectors can just
> clip it onto your pocket and go.  'Course, you've still got to put the
> strips somewhere, but they're in the foil wrappers, so at least you don't
> have a bottle.  The screen that you read the result is very small
> (definitely not for someone with vision troubles), and doesn't have a date
> or time stamp.  Also, no memory that you can recall on the pen, though it
> does download like a meter (100 readings, I think the rep told me.
> Anyone know anything about the meter in a pen? how does it work?

It's a miniaturized meter in a tube. I remember seeing the design
drawings for it
in the office next to mine where they designed the first production
model at
Bell Labs (contracted), since Medisense couldn't QUITE figure out how to
it in there.

Anyway, I found it interesting that the 3 watch batteries in it are
above the
strip port on the end, twisted sideways. That was the ONLY way to fit
them in
the design space!

Besides that, it's the original "electronic" reading meter, vs the
that were used at the time. Not so rare anymore, what with the Fast Take
others using the same general scheme. The blood is run over 2 contacts
and a small
electrical charge run through it. The meter measures the resistance,
which varies
with bg level.

Ted Quick