Re: [IP] Where has this been for NINE years?

Sorry Renee.
Actually it seemed that in 1980 when I started pumping, doctors were expecting
all kinds to be on pumps in 5 years or so.  Then, for 10 years or so there was
quite a decline in doctors learning about pumps.  This may have had lots more to
do with medical school and medical insurance reorganization than anything to do
with diabetes itself.  Anyway, seemed like there was a resurgence in about 1990
which was squelched by the trend towards primary care doctors (again, effects
medical ed) and the HMO conversion.  Seems like we are back in a boom period.
I've sometimes wondered if part of the reason it has not become more ubiquitous
is that it took quite a long time for the tools of pumping to get easier and more
effective -- for instance, human insulin made a huge difference, as did the
invention of sof sets, carb counting and new adhesive tapes have been pretty big
changes although carb counting has probably had the biggest effect on accuracy.
Humalog hasn't hurt either.  At any rate, pumping has gotten steadily easier --
even since 1990.  It still requires quite a lot of work and thinking though.
Maybe if the Complete evolves into a more useable tool -- able to record and
process info more effectively and spit back calculations and more portable or
connected to the pump itself, it will become easier for a wider audience to deal
with the other logistics of pumping.