Re: [IP] corrections

> Should the correction be the same as the meal bolus? For example.
> We left the hospital with a 15:1 carb ratio and a above 15 mg/dl
> correction (over 160/under 80)  But now, we are down to 12:1, does
> that mean the correction should now be for every 12 mg/dl over 160?

Not quite. There is a ratio calculator on the HOWTO page. You need a
separate (but related) insulin to bg ratio. DON'T use this number,
figure out your own, but from what you wrote, I would guess that the
ratio is probably 65 - 70 bg points per unit of insulin.

There are three interrelated ratios.

     Blood Sugar / Insulin - ratio { BG/I }
     the number of blood sugar points lowered by a unit of insulin
     Carbohydrate / Insulin - ratio { CARB/I } the amount of
     carbohydrate required for each unit of insulin Blood Sugar /
     Carbohydrate - ratio { BG/CARB } the number of blood sugar points
     raised by one gram of carbohydrate

They are mathematically related as follows:

Blood Sugar      BG      CARB      BG
     to          --   =  ----  X  ----
Insulin ratio     I        I      CARB

Carbohydrate    CARB      BG / I
Insulin ratio     I      BG / CARB

Blood Sugar      BG       BG / I
Carbo ratio     CARB     CARB / I

The HOWTO's go into this in detail. Beware! if you get one of the
numbers wrong, the calculator tool with mess up the others. It's just
for getting a first cut, you actually have to measure your ratios,
and you should check with your medical team to make sure you get'm