[IP] Re: Batteries/Disetronic

** Reply to message from insulin-pumpers-digest <email @ redacted> on
Tue, 11 May 1999 08:47:35 -0700

> Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 07:22:58 -0400
> From: "Wendy Anderson" <email @ redacted>
>
> Can anyone tell me there average usage out of batteries? I have been
> changing my 03 (Disetronic) battery every three weeks! I began getting
> curious the last few changes and I began writing it on the calendar and sure
> enough it's almost three weeks to the day! It was my understanding that the
> electronic-03, lasted longer than the 02 battery (motor). I called D.
> yesterday and they are replacing 4 batteries for me, but claimed three weeks
> didn't seem to be a problem, so why the free batteries? Anyway, at $62.00 a
> set of two here in Canada I would hope to get more than three weeks. Any
> suggestions?

I've gotten in the habit of writing down when I change the batteries in
my Disetronic pump.  For me the electronic battery almost always lasts
exactly two months; the motor battery a bit longer.  Once I had a
battery last about 24 hours, called up, the tech said "Oh, it must have
been an old battery" and sent me two new ones.  The conclusion is:  the
batteries certainly should last a couple of months, varying quality of
batteries may affect this, and possibly the pump itself might have some
problem, like too high current:  you expect variability with the motor
battery, but the expected life of the electronic battery should be
very predictable.  Three weeks is certainly on the short side: keep
asking until they decide to look at the pump.

Richard G. Larson,  Professor,       Dept of Math., Stat., and Comp. Sci.
U. of Ill. at Chicago,  851 S. Morgan St, M/C 249,  Chicago IL 60607-7045