Re: [IP] jabbing and Silhouettes

 >I am not a jabber either.  I have used the softsets but now now use the sils
 >and love them.  I poke around gently for a "good" spot (did the same thing
 >with injections) and then just push and it glides in.  You really do not
 >any pain so it wouldn't matter if the needle was 1/4" or 10" (except for the
 >psychological factor).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a gentle needle poker. I do a test poke
first, if it feels OK, then I gradually push it in. Usually, no pain after
the initial discomfort. If it hurts, initially or while being inserted, I
pull it out and try a slightly different location or direction. In my
experience, any site that hurts, doesn't last as long.

In fact, I just had one that was painful when I installed it and I decided
to do the macho thing and ignore it. Wrong!!! I changed sets a day early
this Sunday because it was so uncomfortable. The site was very red and
tender. (I swabbed it good with antiseptics and it's getting much better).
The bottom line is that if the site is uncomfortable, your body is sending
you a message that it is unhappy. Using these sets is invasive enough as it
is, why make it worse.

P.S. I remember that when I was first on MDI, I had a nurse watch me give
an injection... she was very unhappy that I didn't just jab it in (I wasn't
doing it "right", according to her). I wonder how many of these nurses have
tried to give themselves injections? As we all know, it's not as easy as it
looks. I've always poked gently and never seen any difference.  :-)