[IP] Age protocall for pump

I met some parents the other night and we were discussing what a pump is. I
was really surprised at one parent when I found out that he took his son (15
yrs) to my pro pump Doctor's partner. The partner doesn't believe in putting
kids his age on the pump, but encourages them to wait until they are at least
18. He is on 2 shots per day nph & reg. What is up, am I missing something?
It seems to me the sooner you start keeping things in check the longer you
will put off possible complications.
Jeff Verrill