Re: [IP] Glasgow conference

John Davis wrote:

> In my opinion, the medical professionals put too much reliance upon
> HbA1c's, they seem to believe that if yours between 5-8 you are
> perfectly controlled. I know to my cost that that is not the case.

Well, same here in the U.S.!  There is pretty much NO cognizance that
the same A1c means different things in different people, and that the
only way to assess diabetic control is to look at typical daily BGs and
range of BGs, and then correlate them with the A1c to establish an
individualized goal.

In my case, my A1c represents my lowest BGs, not my average BGs -- so
my A1c goal is a LOT lower than many other people's.

I'm fortunate in that I have been able to show my doc records of BGs and
A1cs, and he understands why I need a lower goal than most -- if I went
by the ADA recommendations of 7.0 - 8.0, my lowest BGs would be between
150 and 180, and my average would probably be around 250 - 300. I could
never tolerate that!

On the other hand, when I first started to develop diabetes, and would
have been diagnosable by today's standards (FBG >126 on two separate
occasions), I had an A1c of 4.8 -- well within the lab normal range of
<6.0!

I'm SO glad that I have the tools for diabetes control in MY OWN hands,
and that I'm not dependent on medical professionals!!!!

Smiles,

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted

                              (