[IP] (Fwd) [IPk] Glasgow conference

this interesting post if from the UK mail list.
- ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
From:          "John Davis" <email @ redacted>
To:            <email @ redacted>
Subject:       [IPk] Glasgow conference
Date:          Fri, 7 May 1999 21:49:16 +0100

Hi All

During the 3 days I spent at the conference my overwhelming impression
of the medical professionals, was that they did not understand pump
therapy at all, nor, to a large degree did they understand diabetes.

Mainly they do not understand carbohydrate counting or the effect that
c/h have on blood sugar levels. Furthermore, I am not convinced that
they want to. Their remedy for "high" or "lows" seems to be, "well,
just increase/decrease your dose by two units". No questions are ever
asked as to why you are high or low.

In my opinion, the medical professionals put too much reliance upon
HbA1c's, they seem to believe that if yours between 5-8 you are
perfectly controlled. I know to my cost that that is not the case.

They do not seem to want us to be in control of our own diabetes, THEY
want to control us. They seem not to trust us to make our own
decisions. If you are on the Pen, you are told to have so many units
for breakfast, so many for lunch, so many for dinner and so many
overnight, but they never mention how many carbohydrates to eat at
each meal, and you are told never to adjust you insulin dose by more
than two units at any one time. I was told by MANY nurses that
diabetics won't count c/h's. No wonder some of us get complications.

This is not the case in other parts of the world where diabetics are
encouraged to manage their own diabetes. Obviously I am talking
generalities here, there are a lot of Drs & Nurses who feel as I do
but they are in the minority.

I am starting to write a book here! I don't mean to it's just that I
feel very strongly about. What a sales pitch for the pump! I thank God
I'm on it.

Finally, please all thank Ray Morrissey for the gift of a modem which
will allow Joan Everett, DNS at Bournemouth Hospital, to join this
list. She will being doing so in the very near future and will be
accessing from her home, not the hospital. Thanks Ray, and I will be
writing to you as promised.

Joan will be in Holland next week, visiting Dr Hoogma's clinic finding
out how they manage pump therapy. She has already visited USA &
Germany on the same mission. She is one of the enlightened ones.

My Dad taught me to Meditate, He used to say "sit down and shut up!"
So think I will.

Thanks for reading this.

John Davis.