Re: [[IP] Using COLD insulin is NOT a good idea....]

denise poole wrote:

> "I changed my set yesterday and I always keep my insulin the fridge and
> take it out when I do my set change.  The lady said to NEVER use cold
> insulin, let it warm to room temp first.  She says when it warms up in
> the tubing and pump it can get gasseous and cause air bubbles in the
> tubing.  Which is what I was seeing, the insulin wasn't coming out
> unless I myself pushed on the syringe because there was a lot of air at
> the end of the tube, yet it had delivered fine up until this afternoon.
> Hope this helps someone.
> insulin?

Actually it applies to all kinds of FLUIDS, not just insulin.

> I use velosulin and I always use it right out of the refrigerator. I
> never have any problems with bubbles while filling or any time.A few may be
> left in the cartridge at the end of the supply, but I was told this was
> normal. Also if the bubbles were no larger than champagne bubbles, they should
> not cause any problem.

Perhaps, but I don't find air in my syringe at the end of a fill very often at all,
and I keep my syringe vertical in the pump with the hose end down to keep the
bubbles in the syringe rather than the hose.

Air will stay in solution in almost any fluid when it's kept cold. Only real way to avoid it,
at least in part, is to avoid shaking the vial when it's cold. Ever notice how soda pop
goes flat faster when it's warm????

Ted Quick