Re: [IP] Disappointed in Minimed supply "rules"

email @ redacted wrote:

>   Today I received a call from Minimed, confirming my order I placed for
> Amy's supplies. I asked for 3 boxes of Sof-Sets and 2 Sils, as Amy will be
> using the Sils more and more in the "swimwear" months.  I was told I cannot
> mix sets in an order! This is due to the fact that all sets have the same
> insurance code, and if purchased in the same order, they cannot differentiate
> the cost. I asked them if this was not something they thought about fixing.
> The reply was "No.". So, if I want both types of sets, I have to wait 90 days
> (min. $ amt. they will ship) and again order.

Was this from MiniMed or the insurance company? If it as MiniMed you CAN buy
elsewhere. They'll cost your insurance company more, since they make their living
by adding
a margin to the price paid to MiniMed, which is roughly the same as you pay them,
but they
WILL charge the bill directly to your insurance company, relieving pressure on
wallet. I think they may also supply both kinds of sets in parallel, though you'd
have to check
it with a particular supplier.

> If I wait 90 days, summer will
> almost be over! And I can't risk getting all Sils now, as we have only tried
> them 2 times and I'm just not sure Amy is too keen on the idea!  Also, we
> have NEVER had any problem getting supplies for Amy - they bill our insurance
> and any remaining costs have been billed to us and promptly paid. Today I'm
> told everyone must now pay up front what insurance will not cover before the
> shipment is even sent. I think this stinks! Of course, she will make an
> exception "this one time" since Amy's supplies should have been mailed out
> last week and she's close to running out!
>   I guess I would like to know from anyone out there - How is the mail supply
> order businesses handling pumping supplies? Any hassles? We would only order
> pump supplies, as her insulin is purchased where I work. What do you all
> think?

As above, I think you need to find a competitive supplier who will do more for
you to
earn your business, not abuse you with changes in practice like this. Do you ever
the ADA Forecast magazine, for instance? They always have ads for various mail
order suppliers in each magazine. There are also webpages for some of them,
though I
don't have them handy.

Ted Quick