Re: [IP] Getting Pregnant and having a baby w/ Type 1

April, I am 5 months pregnant right now and have been on the pump for
just under a month.  My blood sugars weren't that perfect when we
concieved my A1C was 9.1.  I was going through a period of stress just
before concieving which made my sugars skyrocket a few times.  I was
very concerned about this but my dr. insists that individual blood sugars
don't count, that it's the overall A1C that matters most. My A1C's have
been 5.3 consistently for the past 2 months now and its has been pretty
easy, although I check my bg's about 10-15 times a day, all depending on
how I'm feeling.

If you want to email me privately I'd be glad to share my experiences so
far with you.

>I have only been diabetic for about 5 years now.
>I understand that the most important aspect is keeping your blood sugars
>in control.  But I keep wondering because of the fact that even if you
>work at it really hard they can still get away from you how you dealt
>with it.
>Meaning, when you were pregnant you must have had highs and lows
>sometimes.  Did you children suffer any ill effects from occational
>highs or lows that you may have had?
>How difficult was it keeping control in the first trimester when I hear
>your insulin needs change constantly?
>It sure would be nice to know what to expect.  So I don't freak out that
>I've damaged my baby for life if I ever have a high or low which I know
>I will have, its inevitable to some point.
>Thank You.
>April Mar
>NW Micro-Technics
>Software Trainer

Pumping since 04/09/99
IDDM 15 years, pregnant, due date Sept. 23/99