Re: [IP] teaching

Dear Julie & Natalie:
      Although I too was a high school French teacher, my "teacher" story
actually concerns my daughters' science teacher in middle school. On the day
Melissa was diagnosed, I met her older sister at the bus stop & frantically
explained how I had to rush Melissa to the hospital because she's just been
dx'd with diabetes. Deena's mouth fell open because her 6th grade science
teacher had just that day (3rd day of school) explained how he'd been
diabetic for over 30 years (since he was a toddler) & that he was prone to
severe hypos & how the kids should recognize it & get help, etc etc.
Over the next few years (including when Melissa was in his class), I would
hear reports of his Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde personality changes when he went low &
how upsetting it was to the kids to witness this.
    The terrific postscript though to this story is that in March of 7th
grade, Melissa began pumping & when I saw her teacher and his wife that
spring, I raved about how terrific it was.....When we returned to school in
September, her teacher was also pumping, and shortly thereafter so too was
another newly-hired middle school English teacher. All 3 have participated in
the pump support group, run by Melissa's CDE and held bi-monthly at her
school; and the English teacher has organized a middle school team for the
annual JDF WALK to Cure Diabetes.
   Not only have the science teacher's frequent lows been virtually
eliminated, but I literally had tears in my eyes at one support meeting when
he stood up & said that for the first time in over 30 years, it was his 3
young kids bouncing on his chest that awakened him early on the
weekends.....NOT his diabetes!!!!

Regards, Renee

End of insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #120