Re: [IP] Re: careless comments from docs

email @ redacted writes:

<< I also find that, once you make it clear to the physician that you are
both educated and in charge of your  own treatment, his or her tune changes
pretty quickly.  I do not hesitate to say things like (to the opthalmologist
who casually mentions that there is "no diabetes in the eye" this year), "Do
you have any idea how stressful it is for diabetic patients to come to you
every year (or more often) to find out if they've started to go blind?" >>

I agree with the first part of this.  I've had several docs who have treated
me quite different when they find out that I am in control of things.  My
ortho guy has gone a little bit too far on this and sometimes expects me to
understand technical terms that I am unfamiliar with.  I just go home and
look things up so by the next visit I have all sorts of questions.

What's this about going to the eye doc to find out about going blind?  Not
me.  I go to the doc to have him tell me how great things look.  I have
enough things to worry about without worrying about something that may never