Re: [IP] Need Your Opinions...Please!

Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 08:38:40 -0800
From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: Re: [IP] Need Your Opinions...Please!

There is specific scientific information that refutes the assertion
that Humalog degrades in plastic. Humalog is perfectly stable in
plastic syringes and tubing. See:

or the first link under HUMALOG on the LINKS page of the
insulin-pumpers web site.

Good citation.  According to the study, quoting now;  "CONCLUSIONS: We
conclude that insulin lispro is suitable for prolonged infusion in these two
medical devices when syringes and catheters are replaced at 48-h intervals."

Many of us pumpers are changing cartridges at longer intervals.  The writers
on the insulin-pumpers list have cited problems of degradation in their
(plastic) cartridges after 8 days or more.  That study doesn't specifically
address those problems.

Anecdotally, at least one MM pumper has outlined his regimen as using
cartridges only half (or 48 hours or so) full.  Do they do it because of the
results of the aforementioned study or because they have experienced the
degradation firsthand?

Presumably the conductors of the study would have used plastic in both
brands of pumps, so to reduce the number of variables.

As a Disetronic pumper who has also used plastic, I would recommend using

Would anyone know why MM uses only plastic?

email @ redacted