[IP] Criminals R us

Someone told us about the three cases before the courts of using diabetes as
a defence:

> the woman who shoplifted three candy bars because she said she
> had diabetes and was hypoglycemic. On cross-examination, she changed
> her story--said  she was hypoglycemic or something--and was found guilty.

Well, there was one time when I was standing in a long line...a CASH ONLY, 7
item only line behind 3 people paying with checks and 19 items each...oh and
wait i forgot milk...and I was crashing...I stood there and stood
there...felt like an hour...finally, unwilling to give up my place in line
for the items I desperately needed (see being low makes some things seem
sooooo important....) so I reached over and got a candy bar off the
rack...ripped it open and ate it...The little boy behind me whispered to his
mom...."that lady is stealing" - I just turned away...When I got to the
register...I placed the empty candy wrapper on the counter...the girl kinda
loked at me...and said, you are the second diabetic in my line today who has
done that...

I thought, hmmmm coule the ADA have helped me have this slow inept person
removed from her job?  Could it have assisted me in suing all those STUPID
people in line who don't read when it says CASH ONLY or 7 item
limit...naaahhhhh, but it maybe could have helped me NOT be arrested for
shoplifting if I needed it!  My bs was 34 by the time I got to my car...and
NO I did not drive...I sat there and licked the inside of the candy wrapper,
then got dex tabs out from under the seat...and waited til i was coherent to

the same guy also wrote:
> I am waiting to see the person who commits murder claim that
> diabetes caused temporary insanity, though I imagine it could happen.

it has happened...unfortunately she was killed in the same accident in which
she killed two other people. Her name was Barb and she was a community
theatre person in Florida...I was in a show with her one day...and she was
dead the next.  They say she passed out in hypoglycemia, going 70 miles an
hour and ran a light, plowing into another car....all three were killed
immediately...I am sorry she died, she was a wonderful person, but had she
lived, I would have wanted her locked away forever...just as I would for any
irresponsible drunk driver.

> So is diabetes a disability? Not if you are charged with a crime.

so is alcoholism a disability?  Isn't it considered a chronic illness as
well; can't it be "controlled" like diabetes?  oops sorry - getting on
another rankling topic here arent I

Sara who checks her bg every time she drives!  but since she doesnt drive
anymore...that really isnt saying much is it...tee hee