[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #114

Three things:

1.    If anyone has experience with United Health Care in terms of coverage for pumps and pump
supplies, please
       e-mail me off the list.  I am covered specifically under the State of Maryland policy, which
has a "diabetes
       supplies rider".  If you have experience with that specific plan, it would be very helpful.

2.    I have just switched from Velosulin to a Humalog/Velosulin mix (4:1 ratio).  I switched unit for
unit to begin
       with.  I have discovered a few little truisms, such as the necessity of covering EVERY single
thing you eat and
       being able to treat a low with less than was required before.  Basically, though, it seems to
be a very smooth
       transition.  Bearing in mind YMMV and all that, anything else I should be looking for or
expecting?  I plan to
       test the basal rates after a few more days.

3.    I do not currently have prescription insurance, as I'm covered through COBRA and could not
afford to pay the
       premiums for that and major medical.  Is anyone aware of sources of and/or tricks for obtaining
cheaper meds?
       I always play the pharmacy game ("Wal-Mart can sell me a vial of insulin for $24.  Can you do
better and make
       it worth my while to buy it from you?")  Additional suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your expertise and creativity!