[IP] Karyn-pp bg spikes & sara's Rocket ride

KarynF wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to fix post breakfast spikes?
> For instance:           fasting bg    108
> 2 hrs after eating          198
> 3 hrs after eating          114

Looks fine to me.  It looks ot me like you are using Velosulin, so you have
to remember it does not reach its peak efficiency in some people (ME for
instance), for as long as three hours

> What am I doing wrong?

nothing.  Refrain from testing 2 hours after meal and only test 2.5 - 2.75
hours after meal and you will be right on track.  If you really think you
need to be 114 exactly 2 hours after your meal, switch to Humalog.  Be wary
of treating that 2 hour high with more insulin - you may cause a yukky crash

And for everyone who thinks I am an old fuddy duddy stuck in my old fashion
Velosulin ways....in the interest of science I tried a mix last week (well,
ok, i was in too much of a hurry to go get a new bottle of Velosulin out of
the fridge, wait for it to warm up and THEN fill up the reservoir, so I just
used about 80 units that was left in old bottle and filled up the rest (100
units) with Rocket fuel from one of those pen cartridges i keep in my kit for

Whooooooo boy!! this stuff is AMAZING!!!!!!..I lowered all my basals and used
the ratio of 1:20 for insulin to carbs...woke up betweeen 91 and 99 FOUR days
in a row...instead of my usual 115-125...used about 10 units less per day
overall.  Had post prandials in that gloriously ellusive "perfect" range... I
did have a few post prandial  60/70s bgs which I try to avoid like the
plague, and pre bed (130am) was usually in the 90s so I  HAD to eat something
before I crawled in bed...thpugh the way I do things, I had already gone up
the ladder before i checked, so i had to go back to eat unless I wanted a
yummy snack of lemon dex tabs...

Problem 1.  I went low during my workouts, DESPITE a drastic reduction in
basal 2-3 hours preworkout.  During this "trial" I turned myself OFF til I
got home.  I was subsequently alot higher than I would have been if i had
suspended using Velosulin...say instead of the 130-150 range, I was in the
160-190 range, this I could understand...when H is gone, it is GONE.

Problem 2.  I bolusd for a normal dinner using my revised ratio...tortillas
with some cheese, tomato soup.  2 hours after I was 44!...i know normally 3
hours after this meal I will be in a good range, but will need a temp basal
for about 2 hours to take care of the cheese...If i had waited 3 hours to
check I would have been dead!  and I never did need that temp basal for the
cheese...I stayed sub 100 til I went to bed...then had to crawl down the
ladder again for some crackers and juice to get myself to a range i consider
ok to sleep

Problem 3.  I had no problem 3.  The site lasted 5 days...I took it out
yesterday when I was 345 after being 88 2 hours before..but then once I had
changed it all out thinking I was having typical reported Humalog problems, I
threw up...so maybe those eggs I ate were a little off.  When I changed, i
used all V, so the study will have to be picked up again next week.

So I tried it and I liked it - FLY ME TO THE MOON BAY-BEEE...but I htink i
will wait til vacation (5 DAYS TIL FREEDOM) to give it any serious

On the negative side, my eye did bleed yesterday, probably as a result of
being so strictly controlled and in the low range more than I should have
been.  Oh well...how much more vitreous could there be clinging to my retina
for gods sake???  They keep saying "no new growth no new growth"...so that is
good news...

Sara  *-)=B xoxx~~~~~~~[507]   long tubing this week
whose workouts, by the way and in case any one is still interested, are down
to $6.36!  Remember when they were $125 each!!