[IP] Re: driving and being violent under the influence of insulin

> From: "Greg Felton" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] DUI and diabetes
> Not that I condone this sort of thing, but I pass this FYI along:
>     I have always read horror stories about diabetics with low BG being =
> pulled over as drunk drivers and being tossed in jail.

There was a high profile incident last year in my area, where a diabetic guy was low and driving
erratically and on the wrong side of the highway.  Obviously, the police had to use force to stop
him and prevent him from further endangering himself and everyone else.  He was combattive, and I
think they did use nightsticks on him.  He was not wearing medical ID, but had a Medic-Alert
hanging from his rearview mirror.  Afterwards, people were up in arms claiming the police had
mishandled the incident.  Although it's unfortunate, I'm not sure what options they had.  Diabetic
or not, getting the guy off the road had to be the priority.  What do y'all think?

I agree with whoever said, TEST before driving!  And wear a medical ID.  It greatly reduces the
likelihood of this situation.

> From: Sam Skopp <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] DUI and diabetes
> I realize that each person is different, but I can't see creating mayhem
> when my BG's are low... except for pushing everyone out of the way as I
> crawl to the fridge. :-)
> Under these circumstances I don't have the energy or inclination to do
> anything but try to find something to make me feel better (i.e. get food).
> Doing something violent would only make things worse. Sounds like just an
> excuse to me.

I also have never become violent as a result of a low.  However, I have a good friend who, during a
severe low caused by a switch in insulin regimen, fought off the paramedics who came to treat him.
It does happen and is not always an excuse.