Re: [IP] reliable meters

Janet Wiener wrote:

> Kasey wrote about the SureStep (a few days ago - I was on vacation :-):
> > And I was told by our CDE that it's one of the most reliable meters for
> > BG's way out of bounds (way high or way low).
>
> I really like the Dex meter for it's portability (also about pump size, and
> I DON'T need to carry a vial of strips with it) and fast reading (30
> seconds, but I don't have to spend any time fussing with a bottle of
> strips, which takes another 15-20 seconds with my Profile).
>
> However, I had a lousy experience with it this weekend. I came in at
> bedtime (2:30am, it was a late evening) and tested at 116. I disconnected
> the pump and took a shower, then reconnected and got into bed (elapsed time
> about 20 minutes). I couldn't sleep. I felt low. I tested with my Profile,
> and it said 50. So I drank 8oz apple juice, and retested with the Dex 5 min
> later. The Dex read 126. The apple juice doesn't work THAT fast. I was
> really annoyed that the Dex was so far off.
>
> I've tested it side-by-side with the One Touch 2, Profile, and Complete
> before and gotten similar readings (statistically the same reading). What
> gives?
>
> Janet
> email @ redacted
> send the next two lines in a message
> info
> end
> to the e-mail address: email @ redacted

The meters are calibrated differently.  The DEX gives a reading that is
calibrated to lab (serum/plasma).  The others you mentioned are
calibrated to whole blood, which reads 12-15% LOWER than serum/plasma.

The serum/plasma is the TRUE reading, and is the standard by which
treatment protocols are based.

Mike