Re: [IP] Re: ruth is right

Sarah:

Boy, this sounds like me and my experiences.  My sugars have been "wacky"
ever since I was DXed, 23 years ago.  And, though I will not claim that I
was always the "perfect diabetic," I know that I put forth a great deal of
effort to control the wackiness, with very little success.  Even knowing
this to be true, there was a part of me that just thought I wasn't trying
hard enough, that I wasn't doing "it" (diabetic control) "right."

After a little over a week pumping, I now know for sure that the problem
wasn't primarily with me (and have good evidence to back this up).  With no
more effort than MDI (probably less; and certainly it will be less
eventually, when I've got a lot of these carb counts memorized), on the
pump I can achieve the "mostly stable" sugars that I always envied some
MDIers.

Yes, I have already forgotten to bolus (and this was after carefully
calculating the amount of the bolus).
In fact, I did it for the first time today and (I'm embarrased to say) I
also did it for the second time!  (Musta left my brain under the pillow
when I got out of bed this morning . . . .)  So I was really glad to read
you admitting to this slip.

--Laurel

----------
> From: SISchmidt <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: ruth is right
> Date: Sunday, May 24, 1998 3:48 PM

Liz,
"Enjoyed" isn't the right word, but I can't think of the right one at this
moment. I enjoyed reading about how Darren's BG's were up and down like
that.
Mine were, too, before I started on the pump in Sept. '97. (I have had
diabetes for 18 years).  I don't know if my parents were grilled so, but I
know that after I started going to Drs on my own as an adult, I would be
given
the riot act about how come my sugars were so wacky. I have never been one
"cheat" as they say, as a matter of fact I never used to eat any sugar with
the exception of reaction candy. It insulted me so for them to accuse me of
cheating all the time. Thank goodness I am with an Endo now who saw the
wacky
for what wacky was, and not my so called cheating. You are right, hormones
have a lot to do with it, as does stress, and any number of other things
that
aren't things that can be seen or touched (or eaten for that matter). I am
on
Humalog with my pump, and know if I have a really high BG, to first check,
did
I bolus? (anyone else forget on occasion?:-)) If the problem doesn't
correct
itself in a couple of hours after a bolus, then I change the set. The highs
don't come along that often any more.

At any rate, it was interesting for me to see I'm not the only one who has
been "questioned."

Take Care!
Sarah
send the next two lines in a message