Re: [IP] Re: ruth is right

Sorry this is so late, I am catching up on the email...Endo's do make you feel
like 300 in your child is horrid.  Before our endo would put Darren on the
pump, she wanted him/us to give her a reasonable explanation why his blood
sugars varied day to day.  Now for some background.  One day, Darren woke up
at 130, ate two waffles with Karo syrup, took 10 units of R and his 12 of N.
He had a snack of 1 carb at 10 a.m.   At lunch he had a turkey on white, with
lettuce, mustard and mayo, diet soda and a bag of chips.  He was at 120.  He
took his 6 units of R.  He came home and had 2 carbs for snack at 3 p.m.  At 6
p.m. he was at 80.  Had 6 carbs for dinner, I can't recall what the meal was.
He took his 12 units of R.  At bed he was at 103.  He had a 2 carb snack and
took his 12 of N.  Usually bed time snack is crackers.  Now the very next day,
he woke up at 120, had the exact same breakfast as the day before.  Had the
same snack at 10 a.m.  Did the same activities at school.  At lunch he was
200.  He took his 6 R for his exact same 3 carb lunch and 8 units to correct
the high.  At 3 p.m. he came home had the exact same snack and at dinner was
250.  Again he corrected, took his dinner R and at bed he was 300.  Of course
we changed bottles of insulin to a new one and rotated sites.  The third day,
same meals again and again he was high.  On the 4th day, same meals again, he
leveled out.  Now my point is, our endo didn't want to give Darren the pump
because he couldn't explain why his numbers were up for those two days.  She
treated us as if we were lying about what he was eating and that maybe he was
sneaking food that he shouldn't be eating.  I was furious to say the least.
Darren knows how to carb count and we do not deny him anything.  He knows he
can eat it and cover what he eats with insulin.  So how can you explain why
your numbers flucuate when you are 12 and possibly some hormones are coming
into play?!  Every endo we have seen since dxd has harped on our numbers,
circled our books and treated us like criminals, as if we are doing something
wrong.  I have changed endos several times and told the last one that if she
circles our book, we are walking out.  Numbers are a tool to see what is going
on in our sons body, not a means of measuring him as a "good" or "bad"
diabetic.  He can not always explain what is happening in his body, but he
does his best and I salute him for that.  As Michael has said, giving our kids
as normal a life as possible, is one of the best things we can do.  If pushing
for a pump gives them as much of a normal life as possible then go for it.  I
remember as a teenager how much I loved to sleep in, that was a luxury taken
away from my son until the pump.  He also loves to sleep in now, and I have
piece of mind.  So sorry this is sooo wrong, but yes the endos do expect a lot
out of us parents!!!!!!
Liz (Darren's mom, age 13 1/2, dxd 1/95, started pumping 1/98, MM507)

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted