Re: [IP] Re: Air in infusion lines

SISchmidt wrote:
> I, too, have noticed air with the Humalog. I keep mine in the fridge until I
> use it, and have no bubbles when I insert the whole thing. By the time I take
> the set out, many bubbles have formed in the reservoir. Could it be what
> Humalog does when warm?

Yes. It's not uncommon to have bubbles come out of solution when you warm a
liquid. Humalog just does it moreso than other insulins, besides which we
keep it refrigerated all the time, unlike R or Velosulin.

Think of it this way: cooled liquids are in a lower energy state, so the
bubbles tend to remain trapped in the fluid. When warmed up they expand and
we start to see them as a result of there being more energy (heat) in the fluid.

Ted Quick
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted