Re: [IP] Re: Air in infusion lines

Silly question: Are you _sure_ they're bubbles?  Infusion lines are made in
two layers, and sometimes the inner core separates a bit from the outer,
and makes it look like there are bubbles when there really aren't.
Disconnect and shoot a 1-unit bolus to see if the bubbles move.  If they
do, then you are either a) not getting all the bubbles out of the system at
load time, or b) there is leakage somewhere in the system, either at the
leur connector or the syringe O-rings (shades of Morten Thiokol?).

Obviously option (a) is much more likely to be the case.  I often find that
after thoroughly eliminating ALL bubbles from the syringe/reservoir,when I
connect the tubing's leur connector a small bubble of air becomes trapped
just inside the connector.  It's hard to see and is often left behind even
after a 'clean' priming has been done.  I've noticed this a lot more with
the Silhouette infusion sets than with the Comforts, I believe because the
Silhouette tubing's leur connector is slightly longer.

I've found that after connecting the tubing to the reservoir, if I hold it
so the tubing is sticking straight up and whack the heck out of the
reservoir with my finger before priming, I can often get this little bubble
to start feeding into the tubing.  If it doesn't, I whack it some more
until it does.

I don't know if this is the problem you're having or not, but it's
something you can check out.  My theory is that if you left this tiny
bubble in there after priming, it could slowly start to feed into the
tubing during use, depending on the positioning/agitation of the pump.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted