Re: [IP] Re: Air in infusion lines

Pete d'Artois wrote:
> I am having problems with large air bubbles in my infusion lines. (And
> it doesn't seem to matter whether I inject air into the bottle or not
> before filling my syring.)  I think I am doing things right.  My insulin
> (Humalog) is kept at room temperature.  I always make sure there are no
> bubbles in the syringe before I connect the infusion set and then I
> prime the line with insulin.  I check the luer lock connection as well.
> Today as I was going to bolus my lunch insulin I noticed a series of 3
> or 4 bubbles that were 1/4-1/3 inch long.  Also there were a lot of much
> smaller bubbles in the line.   I have been finding this a lot lately.
> Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I can't say you're doing anything wrong, but think a tactic I use might help.
I have a MiniMed 506, and use the belt clip. If you use a Disetronics this
may not apply directly, but I hang the pump on my belt with the hose pointed
DOWN. Have to hook it back through my belt from below, with the bent over
tab end hooked over the top of the belt.

Anyway, this may help keep any new bubbles from entering the hose if they
form in the syringe, and then they would go up to the plunger instead. A
LOT easier to handle than bubbles in the hose.

Ted Quick
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted