Re: GEHA coverage was (Re: [IP] Going on pump...one of these days.)

Hi Kasey --

> << GEHA is one of the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plans ( FEHBP ) that
>  Clinton tried to get instituted for eveybody.  It covers about everything you
>  can
>  imagine, and a few thing you can't.  <g>
>   >>
> John, we have GEHA too.  BE SURE your doctor finds a way to describe you as a
> "brittle diabetic".  We were told that is the only way they will cover the
> pump.  If you're not "brittle", then a pump "isn't necessary".

My internist had me on MI for a least 3 months ( still on them ) finally workedout
2 x U + 6 x H.  The U he gave me was so low, my BGs almost never got
down to 100 ... except when I went into reaction.  Lost some weight doing
that ( 150+ to 145+ ), since I discovered the only way to control my BGs was
to eat *less*.  8-/

> It took us over a month to get approved.  We had to get a "yep, she's brittle"
> letter from the endo, send 2 month's worth of BG's, and a few other things the
> doctor had to provide (not sure what).  Finally, they agreed on a 6 week
> rental.  At the end of 6 weeks, if we still want one, they'll pay for a pump.
> 80%/20% after a $175 deductible.  (I assume you have high option?  If not,
> they may pay less.)

My GEHA rep told me they covered 90%/10% after the $175 deductable.Hope this is
the case.  8-)

Trouble with GEHA is that they cover thing so erratically ... they have
*nothing* you can count on.  <g>  May move to BC/BS ( hi option )
next year.  8-/

John Huff, Dayton OH
( type 1, dx @ 18 months, now 61 )
mailto:email @ redacted