Re: [IP] Question about Hibiclens

In a message dated 5/20/98 2:51:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  I can swear that my bottle of Hibiclens states that it is to be used much
>  like a "liquid soap", lathered up, applied to the site, then rinsed off.
>  Am I really mistaken on this, or is there another way to use this stuff? I
>  seldom use it, but if it can be used by applying it with a cotton swab like
>  you indicate, it offers some options I hadn't considered.
>  Bob Burnett

I just got out the bottle and read the ultra-fine print.  Darn, my eyes just
aren't what they used to be..

Anyway, for general washing of hands and cleaning of skin wounds, it DOES say
to rinse it off.  However, at the very end of the instructions it says that to
use it as a "preoperative skin preparation" you should apply it liberally to
the surgical site and swab for at least 2 minutes and dry with a sterile
towel, and then repeat the procedure again.

So while it doesn't specifically say you can use a cotton ball and let it air
dry, it does imply that rinsing isn't always required.  What's more, this is
how I've ALWAYS done my insertions and in 15+ months of pumping, I've NEVER
had an infection.

Like DanO, I start where I want to insert the needle and work out in a spiral
until I've cleaned an area about the size of a "splat" made by a wet tennis
ball.  If you own a retrieving dog, you know what I mean. :-)

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted