Re: [IP] Question about Hibiclens

Does anyone have any feelings on how good/bad Hibiclens is for disinfecting
skin?  I've been using it for over a year now with no problems.  I just use
a sterile cotton ball, start in the center of the new site and swab outward
in a  small spiral (this supposedly will tend to carry bacteria away from
the central insertion site).

Hibiclens is a light pink color and doesn't stain the skin like betadyne,
and it doesn't seem to react with alcohol as far as I can tell.

I actually don't even swab off the Hibiclens before inserting the new set.
I just let it dry (takes about 2-3 minutes) and have at it.

Any opinions on how naughty I may have been all this time?

At 15:10 5/20/98 EDT, Lynne wrote:
>Hi all,
>  Want to make sure all who use betadine and alcohol are SURE the betadine is
>DRY prior to using alcohol.  As a nurse, I have seen several people with
>severe burns from the chemical reaction when the betadine does not dry
>COMPLETELY first.  This is, however, one of the BEST ways to thoroughly
>cleanse a site and is used in probably all hospitals and surgery centers.
>This is definitely not meant to scare people off of this technique, I use it
>myself, as it is one of the least expensive ways to prep the site thoroughly.
>Just want the newbies to have good experiences.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted