[IP] Diabetic Gene

This is a two-part question:
I am the only type I diabetic in my family. The only other known diabetic is
my grandfather who was type II. On that side alone there were 29 grandchildren
and 22 great grandchildren. Myself being one of the grandchildren am the only
diabetic. Are the two types related?

Type I is an auto-immune difficency, right? Is type II the same?

Second question:
Although I've been trying to conceive for 3 years, I am now considering
adoption only. I cry every time I read about these kids with diabetes. I would
hate to pass on the "diabetic gene". I hate this disease. I can't imagine the
horror of passing this on.
What are the chances of passing it on?
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted