[IP] blood in tubing?

I've seen this too, but it doesn't make sense.  Though it seems clear that
blood will be available when a small vessel is puntured, it doesn't seem
reasonable that the blood flows BACK to fill up the cannula.  The syringe
is rigid and the tubing is pretty stiff--so if  the pump is pushing insulin
in, does anyone have any idea how the blood moves upstream?

<<<<<<From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] What does this mean??

> When I was giving myself a bolus last night, I could feel stinging where the
> sof-set was in my abdomen.  I didn't really pay attention to it, but a couple
> of hours later it really started bothering me.  When I checked the site there
> was blood in the tube, almost all the way up tho the release part.  I
> immediately changed the site, but I was wondering why that happened on
>the 2nd
> day of connection, and not immediately after inserting the catheter.
> Also....why did that happen at all???

You suceededed in puncturing a small blood vessel. It is not common
but does occur every now an then, just like the gushers. Lily has had
it happen maybe 3 - 4 times in 3 years. Had one gusher in 3 years.

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446