Re: [IP] Pump prescription...

John Huff wrote:

> As a soon-to-be pump user, I need *lots* of info.  For
> example:
>
> 1.  What sort of paraphrenalia is involved in *using* a
> pump?  ( I've heard all sorts of "stuff" mentioned, without
> really understanding it.  8-( )

OK, depending on which make of pump you get, you will always need
"infusion sets", which are the LuerLok connector that goes on the
syringe (MiniMed) or cartridge (Disetronic) to the hose, then
to a canula end of some sort.

Canula ends can have steel (straight or bent) needles or Teflon canulas.
I prefer Teflon canulas myself, you can usually wear them for longer times
and they flex to keep from bothering below the skin. Also note, there are
2 main types of Teflon canula units, MiniMed QR (Quick Release) or
Disetronics Tenders (aka MiniMed Silhouettes or Pureline Comforts).
The Qr units go straight in, but in my experience tended to get kinked
when I moved. The Comforts I use now are a lot easier to live with since the
canula goes in to the side, so the flexibility lets it bounce around without
pushing the canula in and out. At least thet's MY opinion!

Then you need the plastic syringes or glass cartridges. They CAN be reused
to an extent, though Teflon canulas are DEFINITELY single use!

> 2.  What sort of "training" do you receive: (a) from the
> pump vendor? (b) from your local hospital?

Depends. Myself, I was in the hospital for 3 days, after 2 evening
sessions with the trainer from my supplier. Probably excessive, even
then (4.5 years ago) but my endo AND the pump trainer were learning from
their first pumping patient.... {ME}

> 3.  What are some of the issues invovled in using a pump?

It's with you ALL the time, and you do need to take tests frequently, at
least early on. Some people find it bothersome always on the belt or
in the pocket, but the results are usually worth it.

> John Huff, Dayton OH

Ted Quick, Geneva OH
Type 1 for 42 years, MiniMed 506 for 4.5 years, Pureline Comfort sets for 3.7