Re: [IP] Does anyone feel the way I do

Kerry,

A number of people have jumped straight in and diagnosed depression. I
don't know why. It sounds to me as if you're angry that your diabetes is
almost impossible to control. That's a valid emotion and a common
problem. Perhaps you're running your bg's way too low, and the nasty
hypos then throw the body out of balance for several days, so you never
achieve any stability. Cut your insulin dose (under medical supervision)
and run moderately high bg's, avoiding hypos at all cost, through
frequent testing, and treatment with glucose in solution. Keep it that
way for 4 weeks. Sometimes (but not always) this can restore some
hypoglycemic awareness. It'll probably stabilise things.

Moderately high bg's are better than lots of bad hypos. If you're having
a lot of bad hypos, then the cost to you in loss of quality of life is
far greater than the cost of high bg's and the increased risk of
complications.

Gastroparesis is a tricky problem. Others on this list can advise better
than me.

I went through a period a few years ago of very frequent bad night-time
hypos, from which my girl friend would "rescue" me. It was always very
humiliating. And I could find no solution: I was doing everything the
docs said. In fact the docs were completely wrong, and a new doc changed
my insulin straight away, solving the problem.

Do you have confidence in your endo? How has he/she let things get so
bad? If necessary, find a new endo. Changing endo gave me the confidence
to take control of my own diabetes last year (even though the new endo
was a useless as the previous one, but that's another story). Changing
your whole treatment "team" can be an excellent first step to climbing
out of that hole. Hey, you could sack Brian as well! ;-)

John

--
mailto:email @ redacted
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/5726/