Are these new sets needles as opposed to plastic catheaters?   I am a little
nervous about this.  I used the original needle infusion sets and for the first 5
years it was not too bad -- ocassional infections if I wore tight pants that
rubbed against the site but that wasn't too hard to avoid.  From there on out it
was hell.  I was told that eventually the needles cause tissue damage -- which
doesn't heal in the short periods between rotations (and I'm not all that big to
begin with).  I still have tons of scar tissue in my stomach.  I eventually was
told I was allergic to the metal -- teflon?  I don't know. At that point there
was no way around it so I just lived with it.  Sof sets were invented and they
were a god send -- I thought at first that they were hard to use but after a
month or so it was absolutely clear that they did not cause the same damage.  At
UVA in 1991 I was told that their 2 other long term pumpers had also had the same
problems -- again, after a long period of time.  I wonder if alternating the
needles and plastic cannulas would be more effective and keep problems from
building up?

Ruth