Re: [IP] Humalog vs Velosulin

> Could someone please explain the timing differences of Humalog and Velosulin
> in the pump?
In my opinion and based on the preference of my daughter, Humalog is
a lot better for a kid. Lily switched back to Velosulin for about 4-5
weeks this winter while we sorted out some basal rate changes cause
by adolescence. She couldn't wait to get back to using Humalog. She
has found that the small amount of Velosulin she mixes with her H,
makes the 'ride' smoother. Humalog once in a while can be a little
unpredictable in it's timing - from very fast to fast. It seems to be
more even for her at a 5/1 mix.
> I know H kicks in sooner and is gone sooner (about 4hrs).  But
> it's also not buffered, so it's more fragile.  Am I right that Velosulin is
> buffered and acts like Regular?
The buffering agent for H and V are reported to be identical.

The linear effects of Humalog are complete in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours
and for regular 4 1/2 - 5 hours. For calculating linear bg drops,
Lily uses 2 hour and 4 hours respectively.

Both of these insulins have 'tails' that extend to 5 - 6 hours. This
usually only matters if you are low or have overdosed. I can only
speak from experience about H. Typically when low the major effects
are all gone in 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
> About 6ish hours vs. 4 for Humalog?  What
> about the peak for Velosulin?  Would you need to bolus and wait a bit to eat?
With V, Lily must bolus 45 min - 1 hr  prior to a meal -- a real pain
for her. With H, she boluses with her meal. Sometimes all , sometimes
1/2 with the balance just as she completes the meal. This allows for
grazing and for the differences in glycemic index of the various

> Is Velosulin tempermental like Regular in that you really don't know from one
> day to the next when it is going to kick in?  I really like the predictability
> and fast-action of Humalog, but want to know more about Velosulin before we
> decide which to use.  Any help would be appreciated.
Think of Velosulin exactly like Regular.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted