[IP] Pumps for everyone???

I couldn't have said it any better.
There are two aspects of successful pumping:  1) mechanical and 2)
emotional.  Of the two the second is more important, but perhaps harder
to attain.

Mechanically, can the patient tolerate the pump.  Being attached to a
thing 24 hours a day is not for everyone.  Pumps can be dropped, tubing
can be caught on things (doorknobs -oops), ad infinitum.

Emotionally, can the patient tolerate the pump.  A pumper almost by
definition is someone who wants to take control of their situation with
what I believe is the best tool availible.  However, there are those who
would rather take 1 or 2 shots a day and ignore as much of their
diabetes as they can.  A pumper must be willing first to take additional
blood tests and more importantly be willing to think about them and act
accordingly.  My experience indicates that I cannot set up my pump and
forget about it until my next meal; my body and/or my lifestyle is too
varied for that.  I am alway trying to understand what caused my current
blood level; both made it out of the target or what did I do right to
keep it in target.  This is a HUGE responsibility.

Before the happy pumpers here jump on my back, let me repeat that I
would not go back to shots as long as I can pump.  However, I know many
diabetic who are not willing to assume this responsibility.  Their life
would be better and their future brighter if they would, but that is not
them right now and hooking them onto a pump isn't the way to gain that

The decision to accept these responsibilities is difficult for an
adult.  For a child, I suspect that both the parents and the child need
to be willing.

This is a long way to say that pumps are not for everyone.  My opinion
is that this is true, despite pumps being the best thing for many of us.