[IP] I'm Official!

Thanks, Renee!

Well, I had my pump start this morning and am now an Official Pumper.  8-)

I was still pretty uncertain about how to do the tape (I tried to test some
combinations during the week, as you suggested, Janet, but didn't get too
far because our pharmaceutical outlets were open only during the hours I
also have to work) and kind of winged it on that--but I seem to be doing
okay.  No itching or discomfort after the first 30 minutes.

Someone else may want to try what I did.  I was freshly showered, so did
not use a skin wipe (mostly because I hadn't been able to find one that
didn't contain alcohol).  On Wayne's suggestion, I only put a half-strip of
IV 3000 down first, then inserted the set (after stripping it of the
adhesive tab).  I put on the IV 3000 donut tape.  Then I made my tape loop
and secured it with a couple of pieces of Hypafix.  This minimized the
thickness of the tape at any one point, a factor which seemed significant
during my trial.

It seems to be mainly the Polyskin II and the adhesive tab on the set that
I'm allergic to.

My blood sugars haven't immediately become perfect, but I didn't expect
them to.  I treated myself to a small piece of lemon meringue pie this
afternoon and suspect the basic carb book I referenced didn't have it
listed correctly as only 15 grams.  (That'll teach me to leave my more
comprehensive pocket book as home by mistake.)  But the 259 spike did come
down when I bolused some more.  Is there a "usual" amount of time it takes
to get the hang of this?

It is odd--I feel really glad and peaceful to finally be hooked up for
real.  Even the set feels "right" somehow.  (And taking extra shots with
MDI never bothered me.)  It almost seems like my pump has a personality or
aura about it.  Is this normal or am I goofy?

The only black cloud is that one of our 2 kitties has been missing for 5
days--longer than ever before--and we're both worried sick.  Even though I
knew this morning was my pump start, I couldn't contain my fear and grief
for another day, and ended up sobbing for at least an hour and staying up
very late last night.  Whoever is inclined, I would welcome and appreciate
your prayers and positive energy focused on Woody's safe return!

Thank you for helping to make my pumping transition a smooth one!  I'm sure
I'll still have lots of questions; and I'm sure you guys will have lots of
compassion and good answers.

--Laurel

----------
> From: Rmhb1126 <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Fast Take Meter & Tape
> Date: Friday, May 15, 1998 7:26 AM

Laurel:
    GOOD LUCK & welcome aboard this crowded Pump Bandwagon!!!!

Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump-mom)
send the next two lines in a message
info
end