[IP] Kid bg testing

> I started out test about 10 times a day and
> since his numbers have been so good he just test 4 times now, unless he
> feels bad or had a low reading before bed.  We were told not to over do
> it with the testing because he might "burn out" and not do it when he
> should.

He will gladly test more often when he figures out that it gives him
the freedom to eat and play when he wants.

Testing guidelines (for my kid)
Always test before sports - range 90 - 150
  over 150 exercise can (doesn't always) drive up bg's

Competitive sports (soccer, swimming, etc...) where workout is hard
 every 30 minutes to 1 hour during play (lots of bg movement here)
and watch the next 3-5 hours for moderate low from decreased insulin
requirements. May need 10 - 15 grams of carbo an hour even without
any insulin. (pump disconnected)

Always test 30 min to 1 hr before meals, gives time to correct.

If you eat something new or unusual or that gives known problems,
  test 2 hours after eating - action dependent on type of insulin you
are using. Humalog -- fix the problem -- Regular figure the unused
insulin and maybe fix the problem or test later.

If low, eat glucose and test every 20 - 30 minutes until problem
 solved ( and maybe snack in ) then in 2 hours.

Periodic test at 2:00 am to watch for night time basal changes
brought about by normal growth.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted