Re: [IP] (no subject)

Michael,
Sorry but I have to give you a hard time on this one.
The pump is a great thing but it doesn't work that well.  It is a huge
amount of work and frankly after 17 years on this thing the few moments when
I get to finally be unleashed are heaven -- IHATE BEING ATTACHED ALL THE
TIME -- ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT!  In college it was particularly difficult to
negotiate that attachement at things like dorm parties.  I have known
diabetics who are much better controlled on 2 shots a day than I have ever
been on anything -- for a variety of reasons, some medical.  It's a good
thing but badly used its a risky pain in the neck.

Forgive me, but I think Lily has been doing this for 3 years?  Ask her in
20, when she can't remember the shots anymore and her body is less resilient
if she is still so thrilled?

Parents who put their kids on pumps MUST MUST MUST have:
$$ enough to keep it afloat with all the acoutrements
Time
Great health insurance
A decent reading and critical thinking ability
A decent math ability
Knowledge enough to sift through lots of info and decide what's relevant and
what isn't
A sense of perspective and a high tolerance for frustration
The ability not to control everything.

Sorry again, but although I wouldn't give my pump back it is not a miracle
and individuals have to decide whether they can handle what is required.  I
am worried about new parents overwhelmed by a dx looking for a miracle.

Ruth