Re: [IP] Keeping the Site Sterile

Laurel,
People -- especially CDEs -- differ dramatically in how adamant they are about
sterility.  I've had a pump for 17 years and until recently frequently had
infections -- especially before all the needle innovations.  I had far more
infections from needles that rubbed than from lack of sterile stuff -- i.e.
tape and betadine.  I've stopped using special preps b/c they are too
expensive.  I just use alcohal.  Infections still only happed when a site gets
sore or old and I manage to keep putting off changing it for hours and hours.
Being sterile is not a bad idea.  It's just that reasonably clean procedures
seem to do just fine.

You can't infusion sets too easily and tends to cause probs -- especially
because if you are like me and frequently drop your pump in the middle of the
night and pull it up by the tubing, after four days or more the tubing has
stretched a bit and is much thinner.  Syringes can be used although I believe
Minimed advises against it.  When I've been unable to afford supplies, I found
that I could use a syringe easily for two changes 300 units each or 3 times of
less units.  After that the dosing became uneven.  At those rates, if I used
velosulin I could get unconsciousably long periods out of an insertions --
sometimes even 10 or 12 days.  If you aren't scrimping for supplies, though, a
much more sane way is to change every 4 days -- maybe less with humalog more
with velosulin.

Good luck!