Re: [IP] DKA question--please help!!

In a message dated 5/12/98 11:46:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< y this last statement, do you mean that some elderly patients will need
 insulin on a TEMPORARY daily basis after a stressful event or could this be
 the beginning of a lifelong insulin regimen for him?  This is for my personal
 information.  I don't plan to tell him this, no sense worrrying him if it
 doesn't work out that way. I understand that you are only speaking in general
 terms and not specifically about my dad.
This would not be unusual to occur.  My mother needed to switch to NPH
injections about 20 years after her initial diagnosis and several years of
medical stressors and life stressors.    There can be many reasons why Type 2
needs to go on insulin.  Sometimes the  beta cells just wear out and do not
produce enough effective insulin.  There has to be insulin production for oral
medications to be effective.  I hate to pass on any "not so wonderful" news,
but you do need to be aware of it as a possibility.  There are laboratory
tests that can determine an estimate of insulin production by the pancreas,
but it is probably not indicated at this time.  You could ask the physicians
about it....preferably an endo.  Glad to hear he is doing better today.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted