Re: [IP] Sweets [was Casting Call]

> Recently, I've bben seeing a disturbing trend in my BG's, whcih I'll be
> showing my endo at my next visit.  I find that I have problems with
> Chinese food, probably because of the spices.
The sauce in Chinese food is usually made using Arrow Root. It is
similar to corn starch, has a high glycemic index.  You can eat it
(my daughter manages) but you have to bolus right up front and keep a
record for each type of food so you can adjust next time.

> My big problem is that my
> BG's jump about 150 points after I eat dinner, regardless of how much or
> how little I eat. I try to eat foods that I can correctly bolus for.

There is definetly a time dependent metabolic change which many
people experience when they eat a meal.  I have only seen it reported
at breakfast time, but there is no reason why it could not happen at
dinner as well. Basically, your body shifts gears when you eat that
particular meal. The shift is accompanied by a demand for additional
insulin that is not food dependent.  You can adjust for it by eating
a standard meal for which you know the exact bolus, record the high
blood sugar requirement separately and refine the number with several
trials.  After that, just bolus that much extra with your dinner
meal. Lily experiences this with breakfast on sleep in days. If she
rises at 6:30, the shift does not occur. After about 7:30, bg will
stay OK until she eats (even if it is at 10) then her bg will pop up.
Her standard bolus for that is 1.8 units without regard to the size
of the meal (which is in addition).