Re: [IP] casting call

One thing to be aware of is the "Glycemic Index" of foods. The GI is a
relative ranking of foods based on how quickly they will affect your blood
glucose levels. Glucose is used as one reference, with a ranking of 100
(white bread is also used as a reference). The GI listed for foods is how
they compare to pure glucose - the closer the Glycemic Index is to the
reference of 100, the more closely it approximates pure glucose in quickly
raising your blood sugar. Generally, foods with high GI rankings raise your
BG very quickly

Rice cakes generally have a GI of 85 - that's pretty high. Many breakfast
cereals also have a high GI factor - Kellogg's Corn Fakes have a GI of 77;
Rice Krispies have a GI of 89; Kellogg's Cocopops have a GI of 77.

Randall raised the issue with baked potatoes. The average GI for baked
potatoes is 85. (this will vary, based on which type of potato you have).
This is pretty darn close to the same effect that pure glucose will have on
your BG!

Simply avoiding high GI foods is not the best answer, because it limits our
choices and flexibility. One suggestion is to choose carefully. A mix of
higher GI foods can often be balanced with foods with a lower GI, or the
effects of the high GI food can be slowed somewhat if foods with higher
levels of fat or proteins are mixed in. Using the examples with the foods I
listed above, you can easily see why a breakfast of baked potato, rice cake
and Kellogg's Cocopops will raise your BG pretty quickly (besides which,
this particular combo is likely to destroy any taste buds you have ;-))

Trying to match the predicted BG rise with a "slower" insulin like Regular
or Velosulin requires sufficient lead time before eating and can require
some juggling before you get it just right. Humalog may help in these
situations, if it's part of your treatment plan.

Rick Mendosa's web site (see link on Insulin Pumper's page) has good
material on the Glycemic Index. It is not
the answer for everything, but it helps explain the effect that some foods
have on an otherwise carefully planned day ;-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted

Becky D. wrote:

>Same thing happens to me when I eat rice or flour/baking powder
>bisquits.  Neither are desserts but wow can they make my bg soar!
>Usually spikes about 4-6 hours AFTER the meal.  I even ate the same meal
>twice in a row to test it again in case I had calculated wrong.  When I
>count the carbs and bolus to cover for a dessert, no problem.  But the
>rice and plain busiquits.....watch out!  I'm guessing I need to bolus
>more and extend the square wave longer when I eat these foods.
>Becky D.
>Randall Winchester wrote:

>> The pump helps me to handle cake, pie and other such foods - the only
>> one I really have a problem with is baked potatoes...  I can measure,
>> calculate, bolus, wait a while, eat the baked potatoe and my bg
>> spikes way up.  I've even tried eating it when the insulin peak
>> hits...  something about the simple carbohydrate (starch) in the
>> potatoe versus the complex (well slightly more!) carbohydrates in the
>> pastries...
>> Randall Winchester

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted