Re: [IP] DKA question--please help!!

<< It is however, recommended that the best healing takes place with
 the BG under 180.  Now, don't get me into trouble with the medical staff for
 telling you this, but it is well documented in medical books.  He may be
 somewhat dehydrated from the surgical procedure.  You did not mention his
 but aggressive IV fluid therapy would not be indicatedif he has any heart or
 kidney problems.  the surgery has likely increased his insulin resistence and
 he simply needs more of it. >>

Thanks so much for your response.  Dad is 72 years old, so you guessed right.
The IV is because he hasn't been able to tolerate anything in his stomach yet.
My impression is that when he gets back on food, they will put him back on the
glucophage and rezulin and things should be easier.

I spoke with him a bit ago and they had been able to bring the bs down to 173.
I suggested that he should feel somewhat better at that level and he said,
"yes, some".  I think this is the first time he's ever really had high blood
sugar and it's kind of like a smack in the face for him.

<<Some elderly type 2 patients often need to take
 insulin on a daily basis after major stress events like this,  when their own
 insulin production deminishes over time. I hope this is helpful.  Keep us
 posted on his progress.  My prayers for his recovery.
 Barbara >>

By this last statement, do you mean that some elderly patients will need
insulin on a TEMPORARY daily basis after a stressful event or could this be
the beginning of a lifelong insulin regimen for him?  This is for my personal
information.  I don't plan to tell him this, no sense worrrying him if it
doesn't work out that way. I understand that you are only speaking in general
terms and not specifically about my dad.

Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted